** I started this post first thing yesterday, but never managed to finish it, so I’m posting it a day late **
It’s been a few weeks since I did a Five Things Friday. Today I want to do a Five Things Friday post related to Crossfit.
- I’ve now been doing Crossfit for 4 months. The past few weeks I have only been making it to 3 classes/week, but I’m really hoping to make it back to 4-5 classes/week. I no longer feel the anxiety and nervousness I used to feel before each class. I do get a little nervous when I see back squats listed in the WOD but I’m sure that will ease in time.
- I can now do 6 pull/chin ups in a row. Ultimate goal would be 10 in a row, so I’m half way there. I do have a muscle-up goal, but we’re not allowed to go on the rings until we meet the pre-requisite of doing 20 perfect form push ups.
- The past couple months, I had my coworker join me at Sublime crossfit. Unfortunately she had to cancel her membership 😦 It was so great to go to classes with her and to be able to talk to her about crossfit every now and then at work. We’ve been coworkers/friends for a long time now so it was nice to have her there with me. Every now and then our coach Kyle would try to get us to compete against each other, but I’m not big into competing with others, I’m always focused on competing against myself.
- The next couple weeks will involve fitness testing as part of our WODs. The coaches want to check how individuals have progressed since joining, how strong we’ve all gotten. I’m nervous! I don’t think I will hit any new PRs, but I’ll definitely give it a try. I am excited to see how strong I’ve gotten overall.
- Then following the 2 weeks of fitness testing, that’s where I have to make a big decision. Remain in foundation or move into building.. where I will start learning Olympic lifting. EEK! I really want to do olympic lifting but I know there’s so much technique involved, it makes me nervous. Although the coaches have been so good at reassuring me that I’ll be starting with the very basics and there’s no expectation that I would be doing heavy olympic lifts from the start.
There will also be a discussion next Saturday to see how many individuals at our box are serious about competing. I’m definitely interested, don’t think I’m close to being in a position to compete, but I’ll be joining the discussion to find out more details. Can’t wait!!
I’ve also found that in terms of goals, they’ve changed quite a bit. Overall goals are to get stronger and remain healthy, but I haven’t had any thoughts lately of needing to lose weight or of the way my body looks. Lately it’s all been about getting stronger, goals of exceeding my last PR, adding more weight, getting faster. I love how my focus is feeling strong and healthy. I still want to eat cleaner, but I’m not as stressed about it right now.
Here’s a pic I took last week. Can definitely see the growth in my legs 🙂